free consultation

What happens if you violate a probationary period?

If you find out that there could be a motion to revoke probation because you violated probation in some way, it could be a serious threat to your well-being. You already began looking into finding work, have been doing your best to stay out of trouble and haven't done anything that you believe should mean you go back to court (and potentially prison).

A single violation doesn't necessarily mean that you'll face a revocation of probation. However, the probation officer may advise the court that it's best to have a hearing, especially if the violation was serious.

To revoke probation, there is a process that has to take place. Revoking probation is at the discretion of the court, but if you've violated probation in a significant way, the judge may decide to send you to prison instead of risking your violating your probation agreement again.

Why do judges choose probation over prison?

The primary reason is because it's a better way to rehabilitate those who commit crimes. Probation limits what you can do but also gives you a chance to continue to work, go to school and participate in community service. You may be able to get help for addiction or mental health problems, too, instead of being left in a prison cell.

Probation is also important because it allows you to face the consequences of your actions in a fair manner while still protecting the rights of a victim. Probation is usually strict, which means that it's less likely that you'll go on to commit a secondary criminal act. In most cases, only low-risk or first-time offenders end up on probation, but others may qualify in some instances.

What happens if you violate probation?

If you violate probation, there is a chance that you could have a hearing to revoke your probation. If the court is going to have a hearing, you'll receive a notice letting you know that there will be one and when you should come to court. You have a right to speak in court and may have witnesses testify on your behalf. Additionally, you have a right to receive a written document stating why probation may be revoked.

It is important that a neutral hearing party oversees the case. If you believe that a judge or other party involved in the case is not neutral, then you may wish to speak with your attorney about requesting changes before the hearing.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call or Email Anytime To Schedule A Free Initial Consultation

Start by getting your questions answered. Call our offices in San Antonio at 210-617-3925 or send an email with a brief explanation of your legal needs. We will schedule an opportunity to have you meet with one of our lawyers as soon as possible.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get Answers Within 24 Hours | Call 210-617-3925 or Email our bilingual staff for a Free Consultation. Se Habla Español

Review Us
Get a Free Consultation

Office Location

Vela & Del Fierro, PLLC, Attorneys at Law
210 E. Cevallos Street
San Antonio, Texas 78204

Phone: 210-617-3925
Fax: 210-227-4818
Map & Directions