free consultation

Modifying custody plans is a part of life: Here's what to do

You and your ex-spouse set up a child custody plan around three years ago, and it worked great while your child was young. Now that they're pushing into the teen years, they're asking for more independence and have complaints about your current custody schedule.

Custody schedules don't always work for a child's entire life. Modifying child custody is relatively normal, and it's something the courts see frequently. If you and your ex-spouse find that modifying custody would be beneficial to you and your family, then it's time to take steps to do so.

How do you change a custody schedule?

To start with, if you and the other parent can agree on a new schedule, then you can file the new plan with the court. In most cases, the court will approve the new plan, and you can convert over to that plan when you're ready.

If you and the other parent want to switch plans but are having a hard time agreeing on one, then you may want to consider speaking with your attorneys and negotiating through them. You can also consider going through mediation, where you can negotiate a plan that works best for everyone involved.

There are also cases where parents can't agree on changes to a custody plan. That's relatively normal, too. In that situation, you'll need to petition the court for a modification of the original court order. Your attorneys will help you petition the court and present your cases, so that the judge hears both sides and what each parent wants. They may also speak with your child in some instances.

Once a judge hears your cases, they will decide how the custody plan should be changed. If you presented the plan the judge agrees with, for example, they may approve it directly.

What do you need to do to prepare for a custody modification hearing?

If you want to prepare for a custody hearing, you will need to first decide how you'll show that a modification is necessary due to a substantial change in your circumstances. To do that, you will need to put together a collection of documents that prove the need for the modification, such as new school activity schedules, statements from medical providers, teachers or witnesses, statements from your child or children about where they'd like to live, and others.

Your San Antonio family law attorney will discuss the exact documents that you need, so that you can prepare for court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call or Email Anytime To Schedule A Free Initial Consultation

Start by getting your questions answered. Call our offices in San Antonio at 210-617-3925 or send an email with a brief explanation of your legal needs. We will schedule an opportunity to have you meet with one of our lawyers as soon as possible.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Get Answers Within 24 Hours | Call 210-617-3925 or Email our bilingual staff for a Free Consultation. Se Habla Español

Review Us
Get a Free Consultation

Office Location

Vela & Del Fierro, PLLC, Attorneys at Law
210 E. Cevallos Street
San Antonio, Texas 78204

Phone: 210-617-3925
Fax: 210-227-4818
Map & Directions