Assertive. Experienced. Effective.

Is it time to seek a child support modification?

On Behalf of | Feb 11, 2020 | Child Custody & Support |

If you’re required by a court order to make child support payments, you understand the importance of doing so in full and on time. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean your financial circumstances will remain the same for the rest of your life.

There could come a point when things change, thus making it difficult to make your child support payments. If this happens, here are the steps you can take to secure a modification:

  • Keep paying: Just because your financial circumstances have changed doesn’t mean you can stop making your payments. Even if it means cutting back in other areas of your life, you should keep up to the best of your ability. If you don’t, you’re still required to make the back payments in the future.
  • Talk to the other parent: This person doesn’t have the legal authority to grant a modification, but they can hear you out and potentially back up your claim to the court when the time comes. If your ex is on your side in regard to granting a modification, it’s much easier to get one.
  • Collect evidence regarding your financial change in circumstances: The court isn’t going to take your word for it that you can no longer make your original child support payments. They’ll want to see exactly what’s gone wrong with your finances, so the more evidence you collect the better. This can be as simple as proof that you lost your job and your only source of income is unemployment benefits.

Once you take the above steps, you’re in position to file your request for a child support modification with the court that ordered it.

There is a lot of paperwork that goes into the process, and any mix up will slow things down. This is why it’s critical to understand what’s expected of you from the start.

If your child support payments are putting too much strain on your finances, learn more about your legal rights for requesting a modification. There is no guarantee that the court will agree to a lesser payment for the time being, but you’ll never know until you take the appropriate steps.