Assertive. Experienced. Effective.

Don’t Make Informal Changes To Your Custody Judgment

Sometimes an equitable agreement regarding custody and child support at the time of the divorce or paternity judgment is no longer workable. If you feel you must fight for a change of custody terms for the welfare of your child or your child support obligation needs to be changed, Texas courts allow petitions for modifications.

Vela & Del Fierro, P.C., in San Antonio, will handle every detail of your custody, parenting schedule or child support modification request. Our post-divorce modification attorneys know what the courts expect to see in the way of supporting evidence and work aggressively to present the strongest case possible on your behalf.

What Does It Take To Change Your Child Support Obligation?

The courts understand that people lose jobs or have a reduction in income. However, they do not accept unemployment or irresponsibility as an excuse for not meeting your obligation to support your child’s health and welfare.

If you cannot meet your current obligation, do not try to set up an informal agreement with your child’s other parent. These types of agreements are not legally enforceable, and the court will not recognize any amount you may have paid under the informal deal.

If you can demonstrate that you do not have the financial resources to continue to meet your child support obligation, talk to us about preparing a proposal for restructuring your agreement. We have an excellent record of negotiating a formal agreement that works for all parties.

How To Increase The Amount Of Child Support I Am Receiving?

Sometimes the parent paying child support receives a significant pay increase, which entitles you to a modification of the child support amount. If you are unsure of how much more the paying parent is earning, we can find out their income through a legal process called discovery.

Raising a child is expensive, and your child should receive the amount he/she is entitled to. We have handled many of these cases throughout all of our years of practice. Let us handle this legal issue for you so that your child can receive the appropriate child support amount.


Most custody judgments include language regarding the geographic area in which the primary custodial parent must reside with the child, in order to allow and encourage parenting access for the noncustodial parent.

If you are the custodial parent and need to move because of a job opportunity, family circumstances or a new relationship, you need to call us about petitioning the court for a formal modification to allow you to move out of the geographic boundaries of the original agreement.

We also represent parties who are fighting relocation petitions.

Don’t Make Informal Modifications To Your Custody Or Child Support

Call us to discuss the changes you need to make to your child custody or child support obligations, or to fight a proposed modification by your ex-spouse or other parent of your child. We will work efficiently and aggressively to protect your interests and rights.

Call To Talk To One Of Our Lawyers

Call 210-617-3925 or send an email with a brief description of your modification needs right away.