Assertive. Experienced. Effective.

Is it possible to change your child support payments?

On Behalf of | Dec 10, 2020 | Child Custody & Support |

Divorce is a major life change, but the changes in your life probably won’t stop there. This process will almost certainly bring financial adjustments and changes in lifestyle, especially if you are responsible for making support payments. While you want to care and provide for your children, there may come a time when you can no longer afford to do so as you did in the past. If this happens to you, is it ever possible to change a child support order?

There are times when it is appropriate to seek a modification to an existing child support order. Instead of simply stopping your payments, it is important to take the necessary legal steps to change the terms. Paying less does not make you a bad parent, and it will have no bearing on your ability to see your kids according to the terms of your custody order.

When should you change it?

You can’t change a child support order just because you want to or you think your ex-spouse is getting too much money from you. Typically, modifications are possible when the paying parent is no longer able to manage his or her financial obligations due to uncontrollable and unpredictable circumstances. This process can start with a simple conversation between you and the other parent regarding your payments.

Even if the two of you agree on a lesser amount, it will still be necessary to go to court to formalize a modification. If your circumstances are likely temporary, it is possible to get a modification that reflects this expectation. A hearing may be necessary if you and your spouse cannot agree on an amount or changing support in any way. You may have to show proof of changed financial circumstances to the judge.

Where should you start?

If you can no longer meet the terms of your child support order, you may find it beneficial to speak with a Texas legal professional regarding your legal options. If a modification is necessary, you may need help taking the appropriate steps to request a change.

An assessment of your case can help you understand what legal options could be available to you after a job loss or other change in financial circumstances. Changing any type of court order can be a complex process, but this is not something you have to do alone.