Assertive. Experienced. Effective.

Fighting back against malicious parent syndrome

On Behalf of | Aug 27, 2022 | Divorce |

Divorce is difficult, and it is often most difficult on the youngest members of the family. It can be challenging to navigate the changes to virtually every area of life, including how much time the child will be able to spend with his or her parents. During this time of transition, the actions of the parents will have a significant impact on the mental and emotional health of a child. If a parent acts in a negative manner, it will negatively affect the child. 

One way that parents can negatively impact a child is through malicious parent syndrome. This is a pattern of behavior with the intent of harming the relationship the child has with his or her other parent. If you believe the other parent is demonstrating actions that are harmful to your parental rights and the well-being of your kids, you have the right to fight back and seek to make this destructive behavior stop. 

The negative emotions of divorce 

Divorce is a stressful process for everyone. For the parents, these strong feelings can be difficult to navigate, and they may begin to affect how one parent handles custody and visitation matters. While it is normal to experience a time of adjustment and strong emotions, some of the following behaviors from the other parent could be a sign that you are experiencing malicious parent syndrome: 

  • The other parent prevents you from having your kids during your scheduled parenting or visitation time. 
  • The other parent blocks you from attending school events and being involved in important aspects of your kids’ lives.  
  • The other parent is telling the children lies about you in an attempt to change how they think about you. 

Malicious parent syndrome is often an attempt to punish the other parent for his or her role in the divorce. Regardless of how the other parent feels toward you, he or she does not have the right to undermine your rights as a parent. 

What are your options? 

One of the options available to you is to pursue a legal resolution to your ongoing concerns. It may be possible to petition a court to order make-up parenting time or other remedies that are most appropriate for the individual situation. This is a serious matter, and you can fight for the preservation and restoration of the relationship you have with your children.